GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

13 May 2012

Tambram Egalitarianism

Recently I attended a function at my cousin's house. 
My cousin runs an Investment Advisory Organization in Bangalore (PeakAlpha:). He is my 'Chithappa's' (Father's younger brother) son and is like a younger brother to me. His sister Shoba is a jounalist and writer, Shoba's husband (we call him Ramani, actual name is Narayan Ramachandran) was the Head - Emerging Markets for Morgan Stanley India, and now works independently. Ramani's father, Mr.Ramachandran IAS was the Ex-Chief Secretary of Kerala State and mother Padma Ramachandran IAS was the Ex-Chief Secretary of Gujarat. 
Ramani's sister is a leading doctor in US.
Why am I saying all this?
We, the invitees to the function sat for lunch and were being served food by all these luminaries. I should say that if a person serving was less in stature than the CEO of an organization, he was frowned upon.
This is egalitarianism at its best. There is no status differential on a lunch table of Tambrams. A clerk can sit with a nephrologist and they will talk about price of land in Kaladi, their native land. Only in Tambram function will an Ex-Chief Sec, will stand shoulder to shoulder with a CEO and a Cardiologist to serve food to the invitees. 
All these leading people serving food to us made me, with and Engineering Degree and multiple MBAs, feel like an inmate of an Orphanage being fed by Irfan Pathan taking a break from hard fought IPL match.
A Tambram lunch is the ultimate egalitarian system there is. Nothing can beat it.... 

No comments: