GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

27 October 2013

30 Days, 30 Veggies, Day 8: Gobi (Cauliflower) fry

Every warrior has a weapon called 'Brahmastra' in their armory. This is a highly dependable and effective weapon. It can unleash mass destruction (which is 'Effective' for a warrior).

But the problem? A 'Brahmastra' can be used only once.

To know that she has a 'Brahmastra' in her armory is a huge confidence booster for a warrior. It gives her the kick. Since she knows that this can be used only once, she becomes master at using all the other weapons in her armory. She is very careful of when to use her greatest weapon.

For me Gobi Fry is the 'Brahmastra' of the vegetables when it comes to writing this series on 30 Days, 30 Veggies.

I like (or shall I say, Love) Gobi (Cauliflower). Prepared in any form, give me Gobi if you want to see me smile. Gobi in dry form, Gobi with Gravy...I dig them.

Since I like Gobi so much, it is no wonder that I also loves cooking Gobi. Every once in a while, I prepare Gobi Fry. I find it very easy to prepare and quite tasty and healthy too.

Knowing that I can always depend on Gobi Fry to fill this series was a great confidence booster as I embarked on this '30 Days, 30 Veggies' series. I purchased Gobi and preserved it like gold. I forced myself to prepare other vegetable preparations. I ventured into unchartered territory when I prepared 'Yam' fry, 'Cabbage Poriyal' and 'Banana Thoran'. I listed down all the different vegetables that I can cook in 30 days and kept Gobi to the last. It was my Brahmastra. I could prepare it any time.

When I found that the Gobi in my fridge (Short for Refrigerator) was starting to get damaged, I decided to cook Gobi.

Of course it came out well.

Here is the recipe.

1. Jeera (Cumin Seeds), a pinch
2. Garlic (3-4 pods chopped fine)
3. Curry leaves, 4-5
4 Ginger Grated, 1/ 2 teaspoon
5. Oil, 2 Table spoons
6. Cinnamon sticks, 2 small ones

a. Add oil in a pan and allow it to heat.
b. Once it is heated add Jeera and allow to splutter
c. Add all the other ingredients listed above and saute for about 2 minutes in medium heat.

7. Onion, 1/2 cup chopped
8. Tomato, 1.2 cup chopped

d. Add onion to the above mix and keep stirring till Onion turns translucent / Golden Brown
e. Add Tomato and mix thoroughly. Saute for two minutes

9. Haldi Powder, Coriander Powder, Red chilli Powder - Each a pinch
10. Salt to taste

f. Add all the powders and salt and heat for two minutes till the masala (Mix of all of the above) is integrated well. Also the smell of Raw Powder should be replaced by the 'fry' smell

11. Cauliflower, cut fine, 2 Cups
12. Water, 2 Table spoonsful
13. Coriander leaves, chopped, for topping.

g. Add the Cauliflower and a bit (two tablespoons) of water and mix thoroughly
h. Cook covered in medium flame for 10 minutes
i. Gobi Fry is ready. Top it with coriander leaves for good aroma

There goes my Brahmastra !!

What are the health benefits of Gobi?

Here it is

No comments: