GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

02 November 2013

30 Days 30 Veggies: Day 9: Baingon / Brinjal / Kathirikai (Eggplant) Fry

This is day 9 of my series. These days are moving very slow. After about 25 days of starting, I am still on Day 9.

You may wonder why this series is moving slow. Shouldn't he be eating some stuff, you may be asking yourself. Does he prepare for 3 days at a time, you may query.

Well there is no secret. When I prepare a Subzi, I prepare it for three times. Night / Morning / Night or Morning / Night / Morning. For preparing these vegetables, I do cut and keep them in the fridge, but end up only cooking a smaller amount than I cooked. So on other days, I prepare vegetables that I have already used in this series. For example, the other day, I made Cabbage Fry, but since I have already written about it on Day 3, I can't use it in this series again.

Yet another reason is that I use potato as a filler. Since this series has decided to leave out Potato, those preparations get missed out. Also note that I prepare good Dal (Lentils). But since Dal is not a vegetable, I cannot use that in this series.

One final point. You can see that most of my preparations are 'Fries'. There are a few reasons why I prepare 'Fries' as a part of the series. First of all, unlike the name suggests, they are not real 'Fries' in the sense of using too much oil. My preparations use very little oil. Second, they cook pretty quickly. Most of my preparations can be done in about 15 minutes. Three, they (my preparations) use commonly available ingredients across the world, for example, 'Coriander Powder', 'Cumin Powder' and 'Haldi' (Turmeric in English and Curcuma in Spanish) are available in Bombay and Bogota. Finally, all the vegetables that I prepare are ok to be cooked alone. They do not need partners, except Onion and Tomato (in certain cases)

Having got this off my chest, I am feeling very happy.

The vegetable of choice today is the good old Brinjal, also known as Eggplant or Aubergine or Berenjena (Espanol). It is also called 'Kathrika' in Malayalam, 'Kathirikai' in Tamil and Beguni in Bengali. 

Let me tell you something. World is divided into two kinds of people. Those who like eggplant and those who don't. I fall into the latter category. I am not a great fan of eggplant. If it were not for this '30 Days, 30 Veggies' project, I don't think I would have touched it with a barge pole. On the other hand, Eggplant cooks fast and cooks well. That is a great boon for a person as hard-pressed for time as I am.

Get the hell into the topic, do I hear you say?

Here goes.

Ingredients.

1. Onion, 1 medium sized, finely chopped
2. Oil, 2 Tablespoonful
3. Ginger - Garlic paste 1 teaspoon

1. Pour oil into a pan. Once the oil is heated, add the onion and the paste. Wait till it turns golden brown

5. Haldi powder, a pinch
6. Coriander Powder, a pinch
7. Green chill, 1 medium, cut small
8. Curry leaves, 4-5
9. Chopped Tomatoes, 1 cup

2. Add the Haldi Powder, Coriander Powder and stir for 2 minutes till the raw smell of masala is replaced with the fried smell
3. Add Green Chilli and Curry leaves and cook for 2 minutes
4. Add Tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes, mixing well.
5. Add a bit of water, 2 Table spoonful or so, and mix thoroughly.

10. Cut Eggplant, 2 cups cut in small

7. Add the Eggplant, mix well and cook in medium heat
8. Cook for 10 minutes. 
9. Your Brinjal fry is ready.

No comments: